(606)-759-7411

Call to schedule tours

Washington was founded in 1786 by Virginians Arthur Fox, a Revolutionary War soldier, and William Wood, a Baptist preacher.  The town was established as Washington, Virginia since Kentucky did not become a state until 1792.  The land on which it was laid out was purchased by Fox and Wood from Simon Kenton, the original explorer and settler of the area.  


The village is now annexed into Maysville, Kentucky and features wonderful history and architecture telling the story of early Kentucky.  The community is recognized as a National Historic District and features 6 museums.  It was one of the earliest settlements west of the Appalachian Mountains and played a significant role in the antebellum period.  


  • Mefford's Fort 
  • Simon Kenton's Shrine
  • Courthouse Lawn
  • Indian Fort or Smokehouse
  • Row Houses
  • Albert Sidney Johnston House
  • Stone House
  • Benjamin Bayless House
  • Murphy-Lashbrook House
  • Marshall Key House
  • Washington Branch Bank
  • Paxton House
  • Paxton Inn
  • Pillsberry School for Boys
  • Taylors Corner
  • Old Church Museum
  • Presbyterian Church

About Old Washington

Historic Buildings

(606)-759-7411